Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Blizzard of 2011


Man did a good blizzard come through last night! The picture above does not do it justice either. Winds of up to 40mph, drifts covering front doorways, and the weirdest thing was the thunder and lightening last night. Now that I have never seen before during a winter storm. School has been closed since Tuesday, as well as several banks, and stores throughout town. Just north of us, Chicago is reporting that this storm is the 3rd worst in recorded history. We haven't left the house since Monday late afternoon and though I do enjoy spending time indoors with the kids there is something about being forced to stay inside that takes the appeal right out. What makes this humurous is that up in Fort Mac everything would still be up and running...and life would continue as normal!

My dad comes to the rescue with his snowblowers!

We have been passing the time watching shows, playing play-doh, and the kids are getting good at some fun apps on the apple I-touch. We also made some amazing sushi last night for dinner. There are a few sushi restaurants in Peoria but nothing like our favorite place up in Fort MacMurray. Which is ironic because you would think a bigger town like Peoria would have at least one "out of this world" sushi place.

Charles learning early how to spend a snowy evening on the couch in front of an electronic device...geez!!

Charlie and his "mad" sushi making skills
Aniela helping me fan the sushi rice
The kids munching on rice and shrimp tempura while Charlie made rolls

Pretty fancy...

Baby likes sushi too!

Another thing to do on a snowy, blizzardy day... potty train! Not the funnest of things but I figured I'd give it a try since we don't have to leave the house. Yesterday I told Charles that all the diapers were gone and that he was a big boy. Well Day 1 was a disaster. Charles went through every pair of underwear and comfy sweat pants in his closet. Even bribery with candy wasn't working. Day 2 has been much better. After waking up, Charles went in his potty right away and hasn't had an accident since! I think we are still pretty far from being diaper free but I am not giving up. As long as I don't give in from frustration...because man diapers are so much easier... he's gotta eventually get the hang of it, right? I just have to keep thinking that it will happen and once he has it down how much better it will be.

1 comment:

tod said...

Snowed in and potty training...makes sense to me! How about inviting us over for sushi sometime? Looks delicious! YUM! Thanks again to Charlie and Walter for shoveling us out!

Granny and Grandpa