Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Creepy, Crawly Invasion

We have officially been invaded by caterpillars up here in Fort Mac. Last year we missed the peak of their hatching so it didn't seem so bad. But it's just down right creepy this year! Their everywhere. All the trees that came into full bloom are now left bare as if it was the middle of winter. It's amazing the destruction they make. Don't get me wrong I think caterpillars are one of the more bearable bugs...even a little cute. But when you have thousands (I'm not joking with that number either!) in your back yard it's just disgusting. Their climbing up the side of the house and there isn't a step I take that I don't step on them...yuck! I guess since they ate all the leaves in the woods behind us they decided to head our way....only to be left disappointed since we have no trees in our back yard and we are checking the front tree everyday to make sure they don't take it over.


Specialists say that it's just a three year cycle and that after next year their won't be such an invasion. Amazingly, as we saw last year, the leaves on the trees do grow back again. They don't come in as thick and lush but at least they get green. Either way I'm ready for the little guys who are growing bigger and bigger to keep heading on out!
The one bug Aniela is not scared of!

In case you needed to be grossed out a little more!

4 comments:

Kevin and Elzbieta said...

Oh my gosh!!! Cannot beleive to see these many caterpillars around your house. Poor you. Soon, they will become very beautiful butterflies. Aniela will enjoy seeing the butterflies and catch them!

The Dynda's said...

That is utterly disgusting! You know me...you are a better woman than me for dealing with this...I would be locked in the house swiping at my head the whole time thinking there is something on me...in fact, just looking at those pictures makes me feel like something is crawling on me! Love you much.

Anonymous said...

We had those at the cabin many years ago. They called them army worms. They were disgusting!!!

tod said...

I hear if you fry them up in a pan, the wiggly little things are pretty tasty ... atleast that's what you could tell Aniela. Maybe she'd eat them. High protein.

We're on the Montana/Alberta border working our way towards spoiling Aniela.