Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Handy Man

I just have to say thank goodness Charlie is a very handy guy. He is not intimidated by any project and will take it head on. It's a good thing too because car maintenance is a pretty penny up here in Fort McMurray. My car was due for an oil change and the rear brake pads needed to be changed as well. When we called to get it serviced we were alarmed at the price. We figured we would hear the typical "Fort McMurray" price but can you believe they priced an oil change at $79.95 and rear brake pads at $395. And that doesn't include tax and labor! Labor up here is also a pretty penny with average costs at $125/hr. Charlie pretty much told the lady "no thanks" and said he would do it himself. I think $600 for oil and brake-pads is a little steep for anyones standards, and that's a low estimate!

Of course as Charlie was installing the brake pads he came upon a big issue. Our Ford Freestyle isn't as straightforward as most cars and needs a special tool to get some kind of piston back in. Ok that is as detailed as I get because when it comes to mechanics I am clueless. Of course we have to wait to get this tool and since my car is currently 2 feet off the ground with no back tires it looks like Aniela and I will be cruisin the town in the Jeep Wrangler. I need to practice driving a stick-shift anyway!

3 comments:

Kevin and Elzbieta said...

Whoa! $80 for an oil change, and $400 for pads!! I think that would be $25 and $50 in Peoria! That Canandian dollar must be doing REAL well! :)

Yes, good thing Charlie is handy!We see Aniela is a good "supervisor", too! Soon, she will want to crawl under the car with Daddy, huh?!

Hope you get your tool and everything fixed soon. Good luck!

Love,

Grandma Anna, Aunt Elzbieta, Uncle Kevin, and Cousin Gabriella

tod said...

Looks like Charlie should step back and let Aniela handle it.

"Stinkin' tool," she says, "I don't need no stinkin' tool. Get out of my way, Dad, I'll fix it."

tod said...

If the women don't find you handsome .. at least make sure they find you handy.