What do you do after Christmas? Hunt of course. I told Charlie I really wanted to try it since he is so passionate about it and our kids will inevitably try it when they are older. I guess I just wanted to know what it was all about and how it felt.
So Friday afternoon my dad, Charlie and I drove out to our land. Charlie decided to hunt with me for my first time so he could talk be through it. We used the nice enclosed deer stand. Thank goodness too because it has been cold lately and being protected against the elements makes a difference. My dad took a spot out in the woods in a tree stand.
I was really excited when we arrived. We got all set up, took our seats and for about 30 minutes just kept our eyes peeled on the woods/field around us. I didn't want to get my hopes up too much because there were many times Charlie came home and said he would never see any deer after being out all day.
 |
| In our stand....all ready to go |
But beginners luck was on my side because sure enough, just like Charlie explained, a herd of deer popped out of the woods and came into our crop field. There were 11 of them and Charlie looked at me, smiled and pointed out a nice sized doe about 50 yards from me. I got nervous but took my position, put my eye up to the scope and aimed at the deer where Charlie had taught me. I tried to control my breathing and concentrate on not anticipating the kickback of the shotgun. I took my shot and quickly looked at Charlie to see if I got her. My initial fear was missing the deer or just wounding it and never being able to find it. So we watched as she limped a few yards and then dropped down. I had done it. My adrenaline and excitement of the hunt was coursing through my body. We waited a good 20 minutes before going out to find the deer. She ended up being right where we saw her drop. As I approached I was a little saddened, she was so beautiful, but knew it wasn't for waste. Aniela said it best that night when we went to bed and she thanked Jesus for giving us a deer.


So I guess I'm officially a hunter. Who would've guessed! I couldn't have done it without Charlie though, he is a great teacher.
Speaking of Charlie he also went goose hunting for the first time with a co-worker on Thursday. He had never been and was excited to see what it was like. He came home with a goose and we prepared the goose breast the very next day in a stir fry recipe. Charlie of course said he loved goose hunting and I laughed because I don't think there is any kind of hunting Charlie would not like!
 |
| Canadian geese are huge... |
 |
| And heavy too! |
1 comment:
Yummy! We enjoyed the venison steak from your deer. Way to go Marta!
Love,
Pam and Tod
Post a Comment