Monday, November 21, 2011

Hunting Weekend..


Friday started the first weekend of shotgun season. My father and Charlie have been bow hunting for about a month now but shotgun is the big event. Where the men go out at 3:45 am and sit in a tree all day long waiting for that big trophy buck. I don't know about you but that does not sound like fun to me! My "Uncle" Ron came up from Texas again this year. It is such a treat to see him. He is truly like family to me and I have many fond memories growing up next to Uncle Ron and Aunt Shelley when they lived in Peoria.

Uncle Ron, My dad, and Charlie after their last day of hunting

The kiddos just love Uncle Ron when he visits

So no one got a big buck this weekend. But we have more deer meat than ever before. Between bow hunting and this past weekend we got a total of 4 deer, and Charlie is processing them all! He really enjoys doing it and we are able to clean and trim the meat to our liking. It's time to finally plug in that deep freezer.


And while the men were hunting I did a quick race yesterday afternoon. It was the Turkey Trot right here in Peoria. A small 4 mile race at Detweiller Park. The top 2 runners in each age category won a free turkey. I really wanted that turkey but in the back of my mind I knew my chances were slim since my age category 30-34 is pretty competitive. In the end I had a great run and got 3rd place. Which won me a turkey trophy but not a real turkey. Oh well it felt great to get out and run and there's always next year. A quick thanks to Bill for taking pictures. I wouldn't have gotten any if it wasn't for him!

1 comment:

Chelsea said...

That is awesome Marta! You know you are a real runner when you refer to 4 miles as a "small" race! haha Great job getting 3rd place. That is not easy to do!

Charlie looks so happy with his deer. Looks like a big one. You better start googling venison recipes! :)