
Danuta, Ela and I getting pumped up the morning of the race
Post-race smiles

So a lot of people ask me why I run. After all it's not the number one choice of activities for many people. For me it started back shortly after having Aniela. I initially just wanted to get out of the house and get some exercise. So I looked up a moms running group in Az and met up with Jen. Jen and I started out walking and after a few months of meeting for walks we thought we would try incorporating some running and eventually signed up for a 5K. Then after the 5K we did the rock-in-roll half marathon. After that marathon I was hooked. We continued with racing and even did sprint triathlons all the way up to the day we moved to Canada. Then in Canada I continued running and met, Diana and Suzy, who are now life-long friends. That's another great thing about running, the people you meet and the friendships you make are definitely the best. They understand running and are always there to motivate.
My Support Team

I never was a runner and if you asked me 5 years ago if I would do a race I would have probably given you a crazy look and thought, "no way could I do that." But you know what if you have healthy legs then you can do it. You don't need to go fast you just need to put one foot in front of the other. And often times when I am hurting during a run or race I think of the people who can't run for one reason or another and that drives me to keep going. Running is a passion of mine now. There are many days I dread it. Believe me waking up in the morning when it's pitch black and snowing is not my idea of fun. But I push myself to get out there because I know that the feeling I get afterward is worth it.

I think the biggest drive that keeps me running is the time I get to myself. It's my time to meditate, or to not think of anything, to blow off steam, or to just make me feel good about myself. It's my medicine for a healthy me, body and spirit, and I hope to keep doing it as long as my body allows me to.
Ela and I celebrating our race and her 34th birthday!
Hot Chocolate 15K in Chicago. Anytime there is hot cocoa and ghirardelli chocolate to be had after a race I am so there!
1 comment:
You GO girl! That's awesome, Marta! You look incredible. What a wonderful gift to yourself. You are right, it is so hard to make the time and get out there and do it, but the feeling after is all worth it!
Post a Comment