Friday, August 14, 2009

It's all about home-made...

Last fall Charlies brother -in-law got him into making home-brewed beer. After mastering the beer he went on to making wine. Which I love because I am a wino. Since then he has made at least 130 bottles of wine...red and white. Aside from drinking it, it is so convenient to pop down to the basement and get a bottle for recipes! So when Charlies father called him and said he just made his own home-made bologna we thought why not. At first we weren't sure if  we could find the curing salt up hear in Fort McMurray but luckily Safeway had it so we were set to go. Two days later we have the most amazing tasting bologna...although I think the original chef should have called it Summer Sausage because that's what it tastes like. But I am just fine with that because I love summer sausage. It is so good. We almost went through a whole roll yesterday. It was delicious with cheese and crackers and I can't wait to use it for sandwiches. The best part is that it is very easy to make. Charlies next project is cheese making...now that could be dangerous because I really love cheese! All this eating and drinking is sure to fatten us up for the upcoming winter.  Thanks Grandpa for the recipe!

Charlies home-made Merlot and Summer Sausage...a little taste of heaven!

1 comment:

tod said...

Ah yum!

Double yum.

I think I'll got get a piece of mine. It's early, but you made me hungry.

Not to take anything away from Walter's polish sausage ... but this old time recipe ... we have two types of sausage to eat.

Who needs stores!