Monday, June 1, 2009

Two Year Anniversary...

Crossing the border into Canada, June 2007

 I am dedicating this blog to our 2 years in Fort McMurray. Today marks our anniversary...and they said it couldn't be done! We survived 2 winters, 2 caterpillar infestations, the mosquito's, minimal shopping venues, and the birth of Charles. Everyone always asks us how living in Fort McMurray is. I always say we like it and it's what you make of it. Yes I could mope around complaining about being far away from family, the long cold brutal winters, or the isolation from any major city but it really wouldn't help anything. Don't get me wrong, when there's 4 feet of snow on the ground, -40 F, and only 5 hours of daylight, I have my pity moments! Those days though are greatly overshadowed by all the wonderful things:

1) The people, we have met many amazing individuals and when we do move we'll have many lifelong friends

2) The ski hill where Aniela has taken to being a great little skier

3) Having my husband home for dinners and on weekends instead of traveling for weeks at a time

4) Seeing the Canadian Rockies

5) All the amazing kids programs where Aniela has met so many great friends

6) Chocolate...they have have really good stuff

7) Having a nice house, living in a good neighborhood and being so close to a playground

8) Living in the Boreal Forest with some amazing trail systems in town

9) Great running partners and friends

10) Plenty of outdoor activities for Charlie..fishing, 4-wheeling, kayaking, mountain biking, and snowshoeing

11) A dry climate...I don't miss the humidity of the Midwest

12) The sunny summers

13) Everything is only a 15 minute drive 

14) The Northern Lights

15) Our son was born here

16) Living closer to our good friends Chelsea, Dayven, and Wyatt

17) Always guaranteed a white Christmas

18) Being part of the historical Canadian Oil Sands...the modern gold rush of today

Going into our third year I know many more wonderful memories will be made!


3 comments:

tod said...

Happy two year anniversary guys! Can't wait to see a different view of the Rockies in a month.

We are in a full service campground, with wifi ... meeting our friend today and heading up into the mountains tommorrow. Camping at 9000 feet ... snow today down to 8500 feet. Shades of Fort Mac!

Our Family said...

That is so awesome! You are such a great person!

Chelsea said...

Wow, time does fly doesn't it? I still remember our "last visit" to see you in AZ right before you moved. We didn't know at the time we'd be following you! So glad we have you guys close to us too. It has made the experience that much more fun!

#6 and #11 - I love those too!