Monday, June 22, 2009

Green Thumbs...We Hope!

For many years Charlie and I have always talked about planting a vegetable garden. Well this past weekend Charlie got the itch and we went out and did it. It's not big but we are excited to have fresh fruits and vegetables. Or so we hope. The ground here is very hard so it took a lot of elbow grease to pull up the grass, break up the ground, and plant. In the end we ended up putting in tomatoes, peppers, pumpkins, zucchini, cucumbers, cauliflower, strawberries, cabbage, and we have a raised planter box with lettuce and onions in it! If it takes we should have enough to sustain us for most of the summer and fall. Aniela enjoyed helping out in the garden and we think it will be a great lesson learned about where food comes from and how much work it takes to produce it. 

2 comments:

tod said...

I can see Aniela's green thumb (and her bottom) ... I'm sure she will be as good a gardener as she is a car washer.

Bring some of those veggies to Granny in a couple of weeks at Mt Robson.

Chelsea said...

Wow, quite ambitious. I'll be curious how it all turns out. I love fresh veggies. I only did tomatoes this year. They're doing great so far, but Dayven keeps threatening to poison them (he HATES tomatoes!)