Thursday, March 28, 2013

Our Little Thief...

Yesterday, when the kids were playing, I happened to step over a toy phone as I was passing thru their play area. To tell you the truth, with all the toys on the ground, I wouldn't have thought anything of it but Charles must have seen me look down at this blue phone and it startled him. And this is why....

As I proceeded to step over this toy he immediately said that Zofia stole it. I asked him what he meant and he reinstated that Zofia stole the toy phone yesterday when we went to Walmart. I told him how she would have stolen it and he demonstrated for me how it would have been done. Pretending to tuck the phone under a coat.

At this point I was pretty upset and asked him if it was really Zofia who stole the phone. I told him it was not right to lie and blame someone else and that the store had cameras and I could find out the truth. He immediately started crying and said that he did it and that he was so sorry.

Needless to say he got a spanking, the longest time-out in history, and numerous lessons on why we do not steal. It didn't end there. That was just from mommy. I told him when daddy got home from work he would be very upset too. Of course that terrified him. Poor guy shot up at every noise that might sound like the garage door opening.

When daddy got home he got another spanking, more lecturing and we even talked about going to jail. This kid was terrified. To many this may seem overboard but we wanted to get the message across. He kept asking if he would ever see us again, if their would be toys in jail, would he have to eat worms. I told him I didn't know because mommy and daddy have never gone to jail but the people at Walmart would have to make the decision.

After dinner Charlie took Charles to Walmart to return the stolen phone. As they left Aniela started crying thinking she would never see her brother again.  I reassured her he would not go to jail because he was a little boy but had he been older, like mommy and daddy, he may have. It was a good lesson for Aniela too as she saw everything unfold in the house.

Charlie said at Walmart he pulled one of the managers aside and told Charles to explain himself. He said that he started to cry but told them that he had stolen a phone and apologized for doing it. He said he would never steal again. The manager was very nice and told him that stealing was very bad and appreciated the honesty of returning the phone.

Little Rugrat! I can honestly say I didn't see that one coming. Let's hope this is the last incident, while the kids are still so "innocent"!
Charles with the stolen phone. You know the ones by the cash registers. Right at the kids level where they beg their parents to buy them. 

No comments: