Tuesday, January 26, 2010

An Update..

Wow it's good to be back in health! It's amazing how being sick can suck the life out of you. Now that I have the energy and a quiet moment to the computer I can finally blog. There's not much going on in Fort McMurray, unless cold temperatures and snow is of interest to you but who wants to hear about that! Instead I thought I would give a general update on everyone.

I can hardly believe Charles is only weeks away from being 15 months old. He had his immunizations earlier this month and weighed in at 26lb 8oz. No wonder my left arm is so buff! Charles favorite thing to do these days is pretty much anything his sister does. If she is sitting on the couch he wants to be next to her. If she is doing a craft or play-doh he is up there at the table too. He also loves eating at the little kids table with Aniela. He looks like such a big boy sitting there, feet dangling off the chair. You should see how proud he is of himself, priceless! He really is such a good little boy. Sleeps through the night, eats really well, and still gives the best hugs. I love how cuddly he is. Nestling his head into my neck, or putting those chubby little arms around me and squeezing as hard as he can. I cherish each one of those cuddles because I know there will be a day when he won't want to acknowledge my presence!

His first word is officially "Daddy"! Which Charlie absolutely loves because Aniela was all about mommy. Everything is daddy around here. I'm daddy, Aniela is daddy..it's really cute. To his vocabulary he has also added, "woof woof". I don't know if that is considered a "word" but if he isn't calling something daddy then it's woof woof. Let's just say he loves dogs. Everyday he is getting more vocal and his signing is also coming along which helps me tons. There is nothing more frustrating then trying to figure out what a 1 year old wants when they can't talk. So between grunts, pointing and a few signs we've got the communication thing down pretty well!

Then there are those times when sweet little Charles is not so sweet. He definitely has a little temper on him. I don't know if it's just boys but he also loves to hit things. He will just be sitting there, playing innocently, when all of a sudden he decides, "hey I haven't hit anything lately", so he will get up and take whatever he was playing with and bang it against something...usually his sister! He is also a mischievous little guy. Always looking over his shoulder with a little smirk to see if anyone is looking at what he is about to do. That something he is about to do usually involves moving chairs and climbing on top of things. Thankfully his inability to be discreet has helped avoid many accidents!




Aniela is growing like a weed as well. Every few months or so, with a pencil, I mark her growth on the side of our basement door. Why I have done that I don't know. It's not like this is our house! I'll have to get a growth chart and transfer the markings before we move. Anyway, the other day, Aniela reminded me that it had been awhile since we measured her. I can't believe she has grown a full inch since October. Her pants and shirts are getting shorter on her and the rolls on her arms (she was a very rolly polly baby) are almost gone now. She loves school and even has a little "boyfriend". Leland, who she hadn't known prior to starting preschool, has become her best friend. The teachers say they play really well together and sometimes just sit there looking at eachother smiling. How cute! Yesterday I was a little late picking Aniela up because I was stuck behind some snow removal trucks and I was told that Leland was concerned that Aniela was sitting on the mat, all by herself, waiting for me. Lets just say he was relieved when I showed up. Aniela is also a social little girl, she loves her friends, going on playdates, and her all time favorite show right now is "Toopy and Binoo." Don't know if they have that one in the States? It makes her crack up every time she watches it. She loves crafts and helping me with everything. She also is vocal about her thoughts and enjoys correcting us:

- "Mommy it's not polite to talk with your mouth full."
- "Mommy are you sure we are going the right way."
- "Really mommy I don't think we should eat that for dinner."
- "Mommy sleeping is so boring."

The things she says and the vocabulary that comes out of her cracks me up. Just yesterday she was making a story book and she said that, "making a story was just the proper thing for little girls to do". Where the heck did she pick up the word proper? I am also noticing the older she gets her sense of fear is really starting to set in. Ghosts, monsters and the dark are all things she is afraid of. There are many nights that I rush into her room because she had a bad dream. Most of the time she has no recollection of the incident the next morning but I always wonder what it is that she dreams about.

As for Charlie and I. We are doing great! Charlie is keeping busy with work. There's never a dull moment up here in the Oil Sands. Hey at least it's job security! And when he is not working he is looking for sail boats. His dream for retirement is to live on a sailboat and sail around the world. I admire his passion for this but have to admit am a little scared of such an endeavor. I told him it would kinda be nice to be an expert in sailing before setting out into the seas. You know Charlie, "The best way to learn is to just do it!" Maybe our next assignment will bring us to some water so that we can start practicing! Then there is me. No big news to report. I, like every mother out there, keep busy holding down the fort while trying to find time for myself. My love of running is still strong and I get out for a run at least 3 times a week, it keeps my sanity during these "Cabin Fever" months. The cold temps don't make it easy so the elliptical has become a dear friend. I am looking forward to warming temps and upcoming races.

3 comments:

tod said...

Cute, cute, cute. Jeese I wish I could get my arms around them ... and you ... and Charlie.

Ah well, I'll have to live vicariously through your father's hugs.

He'll be there before you know it.

And I'll be jealous as hell.

The Dynda's said...

just having you describe it makes me miss huggy bear so much!!!

Our Family said...

Love the pictures and updates!!! So creative with all your lil projects for the kids too cute!