Sunday, January 18, 2009

Heat Wave...

Wow have we had some gorgeous weather this weekend and the most beautiful sunrises (when the sun does eventually come out)! A pleasant change from the very long freeze that started back in December. It has been in the mid to upper 30's these past few days which is more than I can say for all our friends and family in the Midwest. Now you have a little taste of what it feels like to live in Fort McMurray and up here they wouldn't have closed down the schools. In fact last April when we got hit with 3 feet of snow, gusting winds and temps in the -20's, without windchill, the schools still remained open. I don't even want to know what the weather would have to be like in order for them to close. But I will give everyone the benefit of the doubt..we do live in a drier climate up here so you don't feel the cold like you do in the humid Midwest...although -40 is still -40, dry climate or not!



Anyway we welcomed the "warm" weather with plenty of activities. Aniela and Charlie of course hit the slopes today to get some more ski practice in. I went for a nice run without having to wear tons of layers, and Charlie cold smoked some salmon. Yes...he's up to his fun ideas again. Although this one I love because I could eat
smoked salmon everyday. He did his research, already had the smoker and after digging it out of the snow smoked the fish. I gotta tell you it turned out soooo good! There's nothing like a nice slice of smoked salmon accompanied with soft cheese and a cracker. But now that the smoker is out of the snow he wants to fix it up...that can only mean one thing...an excuse for him to buy more "toys"!

3 comments:

tod said...

Yummie.

Pam's jealous of the smoked salmon.

I'm jealous of the warm weather.

Wish we were there.

Chelsea said...

mmmm.....the salmon sounds delish! Save us a piece.
Dayven tried to get Nate to sample Charlie's homemade wine the other night, but couldn't get any interest.

Wasn't the "heat wave" fantastic? I'm still waiting for that bikini shot! :o)

Chelsea said...

Hey - I just read Tod's comment. It isn't often people say they wish they were in Fort Mac!! haha