Sunday, July 22, 2012

A Run for St. Jude...

Ready to go
Yesterday I did my first ever St. Jude run. My neighbor and friend, Karen, has ran St. Jude for 7 years and talked me into participating this year. I didn't hesitate to sign up and be a part of the Dunlap to Peoria team. I figure if I love to run then why not do it for a good cause. It was an amazing experience and I was proud to be part of something so special.

Karen and I right before the start
Even though it was explained to me what the day would be like I knew I wouldn't fully understand until the actual day of the run. All 26 of us started out together, in the town of Dunlap, for the first mile. Then it was personal choice on how many legs you wanted to do, with caravans transporting those runners taking a break to the next stop point. The total mileage for our team was 30. My goal was to do 20. I had never actually run more than 16 consecutive miles before, so I knew that  20 would be a challenge. But I ended up doing 30!
Each team is accompanied by a police car that leads and a fire truck that follows... as we make our way through the streets 

We passed right by our neighborhood where Karen and I had our own personal cheering section. 
Charlie snapping a quick action photo as we pass by. I'm running down to give the kiddos kisses! 14 miles down at this point.

It was a different kind of run. The longest leg was 2.5 miles, and at the end of each leg there were always fellow team members cheering us in, handing us water. Those breaks helped me push my body to the max and each person, no matter how many miles they ran, helped support and make the day a great one.  It was hot, my body was fatigued, and I had some pretty gnarly blisters but that's what this race was about because that small amount of pain is nothing compared to what the children of St. Jude have to go through. That's what kept me going.
After about 24 miles  I'm still smiling. I think I was a little delirious at this point! Thank goodness for the ice cold washcloths...they were very refreshing

We ended the race in downtown Peoria where we collected our things, rushed home to shower, and put on our St. Jude Dunlap shirts. We quickly returned downtown to watch the Memphis runners come in. Shortly after their entrance we lined up for our run into the civic center. This allowed each team to be individually televised for the telethon that was occurring simultaneously. Once inside each runner and their families were treated to a delicious spaghetti dinner, dessert, and plenty of beer. It was so well organized and I loved sharing the moment with Charlie, Aniela and Charles. Zofia stayed with Granny and Grandpa since it was a very large crowd and late night for us all.
The run into the civic center

High fives to Charles, Aniela, Jack, Katie and Megan
Inside the telethon and ready to eat

It truly is a day that is not about the running but about the kids. It's a day that shows how wonderful and good the world is, how caring people are, and what can be achieved when we give just a little bit. Our small little group raised $45,000. The total raised from all the racers and telethon was a record breaking $7 million...how awesome!

The 2012 Dunlap Team..minus a few. It was 10pm  when we gathered for our photo and presentation of the check. Understandably many had to go home to family.
Lastly, and most importantly, all of the above was possible because of each and every one of my amazing friends and family that helped contribute to my St. Jude fundraising efforts. I want to thank you for your donations. It is because of people like you that make a difference in this world...so from the bottom of my heart...THANK YOU I couldn't have done it without you all! I will be back next year....


1 comment:

Pam said...

Way to go girl! Great run for such a great cause! We are very proud of YOU!

Love,
Pam and Tod