Sunday, September 29, 2013

What....It's Almost October?....

Where did September go? I guess that's why I haven't posted anything in so long...it's been the typical busy around here. Although when is it not busy. I wonder if I will ever post a blog about being bored, sitting around doing nothing and listening to the crickets chirp. Although what fun would that be. As much as I may think I want things to slow down I know I would get bored. Must get that after my father. Although I need to find a way to smile a little more when I'm running around like a chicken with it's head cut off. You can ask Charlie... I tend to get a little snippy and woe is me when things are crazy. Maybe I'm not the only one?

So anyway now to catch up on the important things....

We headed out for one more camp out with Granny and Grandpa in the beginning of September. Hunting season is right around the corner so Shady Grove, which we now have decided to rename Deer Run (thanks for the suggestion Granny!),  is going to be off limits. Charlie doesn't want to scare the deer away. It was a fun weekend with some work involved of course. I decided to take it upon myself to clean up the deer stand. It had been taken over by men...need I say more. Usually I wouldn't care but since I may hunt again this year I knew it needed a woman's touch! I had charlie install shelves in the garages underneath the stand to store some of the random things that collect out there. It was dirty work. I ran into live mice, dead mice, a swarm of wasps, bats, and moths the size of my hand. I don't even want to talk about the spiders....yuck. I guess that's what happens when you pile up wood and install insulation on the ceiling of an open garage. We got it done though and it's so much better. A few more things and it will be the nicest deer stand around.




Oh and have I mentioned yet that the kids started soccer. So sad I haven't gotten around to blogging about that and now we have 2 more games left before the end of the season. Aniela and Charles have played all month with 2 games a week and they improved so much since last year. It's amazing what a year of maturity can do. Don't get me wrong they are not like some of the kids out there that look like they have been playing since they were born but we are proud of them for getting out there and trying. Charles especially is starting to get the hang of it. Aniela on the other hand is just not a fan of the sport. She tries hard, but repeatedly says how much she does not want to play next year. We really don't care one way or another, just wanted her to try it out and get into something active. She is begging to do gymnastics and I think we're going to sign her up this winter for a session.
Charles with teammates Colin and Will

Zofia and buddy Caden keeping entertained during the soccer game

Charles coming in after playing a quarter

Aniela wearing blue in action

Our soccer players

Then last weekend I ran in a Duathlon. Charlies brother-in-law, Eric, is getting into cycling and wanted to participate in his first road race. He is not a runner though, so I ran the 5K for him. The race was the Harvest hammer in Morrison, IL., a quaint town just north of where Eric lives. It ended up being the best day. The sun was shining, the temperatures were perfect, and I ran my fastest 5K, finishing in 23:33. I had a foot injury after the St. Jude run so had to take a break from running for a few weeks which didn't give me much time to train so I was a bit nervouse before the start. It's amazing how far adrenaline will take you during a race. I also wanted to get in at a good time so I could give Eric a good start on the bike. In the end we both had a great race and loved that everyone could enjoy a beautiful day with us. Even Granny and Grandpa came up to cheer us on.


We are finishing up the month re-staining our deck. It has been 3 years since we moved in and the deck was looking pretty bad. I have to be honest and really wanted to hire it out. I knew that all those spindles would take forever. Then add the height of our deck and the stairs(it's a second story deck), it was going to be a challenge any way you looked at it. However, we just couldn't break and  pay the 1500+ dollars to have someone else do it. So Charlie spent a few days stripping the old stain, power washing and sanding. And I have been working on the painting...and am still working on it! I really think staining a deck should be a new method of torture. Of course throw in the everyday happening of a stay at home mom and I am done by the end of the day! Ah well...just like anything else in life this too will pass.

1 comment:

Pam said...

Go team go!!! Lots of fun, lots of terrific memories, only a few more soccer games to go. Soon you'll be moving on to basketball, gymnastic and hunting!

We are looking forward to many more camp outs at Deer Run and more cheering at the Morrison Hammer!

Fall is awesome,
Granny and Grandpa