So lately I have been urging Aniela and Charles to do a lot more on their own. Make beds, get dressed, clean their rooms, etc... They need to learn this stuff anyway and with the baby coming it's only going to make my life easier! Of course many times a have to repeat myself 20 times before they do things, and other times it comes with a lot of resistance. But most of the time Aniela and Charles are great helpers and really make an effort to clean up after themselves and help out around the house.
Just yesterday I asked Aniela to carry down her overflowing hamper so I could get her laundry started. She ran upstairs eager to help with such a big task. I expected to hear a cry for help. The hamper after all is up to her waist, awkward in size for a 4 year old, and pretty heavy too. But I didn't hear a thing. A few minutes later Aniela sat down next to me with a smile on her face and said she did it. I thanked her for helping me out and continued to read the kids a story. Later on when I went into the laundry room I was so surprised to see all her clothes already in the washer. Aniela took the extra effort to pull up a step stool and place all her clothes in the washer. I was so proud of her.
Then this morning as we were finishing up breakfast I told the kids to go upstairs and get dressed. I hadn't laid out Aniela's clothes but figured she was big enough to do everything on her own. I have to be honest, I was expecting her to come down with a mix-matched crazy outfit that wasn't appropriate for the cooler weather we were expecting today. But instead she came down with the cutest ensemble of layers and colors...but all were matching! I just loved her outfit and told her she did a fantastic job of picking it out. As for Charles, I really didn't know what he would do when I told him to get dressed. He is not very good at dressing himself yet and many of his clothes he can't reach. But my little man also surprised me when he carried down a matching outfit and a new pair of underpants. He didn't get himself dressed but his ability to pick out his clothes and bring them to me made me a proud mama. Not to mention the fact that it was one less trip up the stairs that I had to take!
As the arrival of our baby draws near I just wanted to take a moment and journal these little things. There are so many moments throughout the day that I am yelling, disciplining, and caught up in all the "housework" that I don't realize how very blessed I am to have 2 amazing children. Aniela and Charles, I can't wait for you to meet your new baby sister. She is going to be so lucky to have you both to watch over her, teach her, play with her and most importantly love her.
These are the outfits they picked out all on their own
1 comment:
Nice outfits. Styling! They have to help Grandpa pick out his clothes (since Grandpa has little or no clothing taste).
Granny and Grandpa
Post a Comment