Monday, November 24, 2014

First Shotgun Season...

We got through the first shotgun season with flying colors. A few deer were harvested by my dad and Charlie, which means meat in the freezer. I was also able to go out this shotgun season and experienced my first solo hunt. I didn't have the opportunity for a good shot at a deer but I must say I did enjoy the peace and solitude the afternoon gave me. It was a change of pace for this typical stay at home mom's day. It was relaxing. That being said the weather was in the 50's. I don't think I would have had such a positive experience with freezing temps.

My relaxing view

Sometimes I still can't believe that I hunt.  If you would have asked me in highschool if I would have ever shot a deer I would have responded no way, not Bambi! Yet here I am today hunting and supporting my husband who hunts many wild game. While some people oppose hunting or introducing kids to hunting I am thankful for it because it is teaching our children about where their food comes from. Explaining to them that we take a living animals life for our food is important to us. We respect life and are selective in how we hunt to not only feed our family but help in conservation of these animals. Plus I love that our family has such a palate for so many different types of meat. If you ask our kids what their favorite meat is you will get responses like duck, frog legs and medium-rare grilled venison loin!

On Sunday, the last day, Charlie wasn't going to go out due to the rainy crummy weather but decided to take the opportunity to introduce Aniela to a deer hunt in the enclosed stand. She had passed her hunters safety course back in August and was really wanting to go out and help Charlie look for deer. Although we feel she is still too young to actually shoot a gun, she wasn't too young to be his sidekick and help scope out deer. I thought for sure she would get bored sitting quietly for hours on end but he said she didn't complain once.   She was so excited and completely focused to just look out for them. Each time the wind would rustle up a bush in the distance she would think it was a deer.  They even saw a nice 8 point buck within shooting range but Charlie has already claimed an 8 pointer in previous years so he passed. During that time he was able to teach Aniela that hunting is not about shooting whatever comes in front of you. We still have another shotgun weekend in the beginning of December when we hope to harvest a few more deer to fill up our freezer for the year!

1 comment:

tod said...

Basic math.

Deer in Freezer > Deer on Hooves.

Thanks again for the meat!!!!